ETHIOPIA: Key Expert 1 (Team Leader) – Veterinary expert – Technical assistant to MoA on Animal Health / Animal welfare project
Our company is looking for a long term Technical Assistant specialized in the management of EU funded projects (EDF) and with a deep experience in Veterinary Health / Agricultural Development sectors.
The objective of the Project is to fulfil veterinary service delivery gaps identified by OIE PVS evaluation: lack of enabling legislation for governance of Animal Health, poor vertical integration of information on disease incidence and prevalence, uneven competence levels across regions, and disproportionately low access to services in isolated areas.
The Team Leader deals with the overall implementation of Technical Assistance services including compliance with EDF Grant rules (in support to Grant beneficiaries), mobilization of short-term expertise (training, lab testing capacities, control strategies for livestock diseases…), technical support to MoA HEARD Team in upgrading the national Animal Health / Animal Welfare system.
• Qualifications and skills:
- At least a postgraduate University degree preferably in Animal Science, veterinary medicine, or agricultural economics, or equivalent;
- Excellent team management, administrative, reporting, and communication skills including solid experience in field assessments and participatory data collection;
- Fluent in English (understanding, speaking, writing), and in the use of common word-processing and spread sheets;
- Demonstrated knowledge of EU/EDF procedures;
- A natural leader with demonstrated experience and proven track record of leading multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team and robust analytical and quantitative skills, and;
- Outstanding ability to work independently, flexibly and responsively, and;
- Strong analytical communication, presentation and writing skills.
• General professional experience:
- A minimum of 15 years progressive hands-on professional experience in a relevant field of veterinary specialty (e.g. Veterinary Epidemiology, Veterinary Public Health, etc.) would be considered an asset;
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience in developing countries, with 7 years specific and relevant experience of working in developing countries, preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa and in particular in the Horn of Africa Region; and at least 5 years as team leader in large programs/projects.
• Specific professional experience:
- Proven experience in public-privet animal health services delivery systems, and the regulatory framework and epidemio-surveillance systems;
- Experience working at a top-tier consulting firm, livestock sector including health and value chain;
- Solid knowledge of capacity development challenges in public sector Agricultural/livestock sector institutions in Sub-Saharan African countries;
- In-depth knowledge of the value chain and trade of live animals and their products;
- Familiarity with the livestock production system in both crop producers, agro-pastoral and pastoral;
- Solid proven professional experience in developing strategies, approaches, and tools for effective delivery of livestock services;
- Proven working experience in conducting gender/environment/nutrition assessments in policy analysis, research, program design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation;
- Solid experience in undertaking desk literature reviews, analyses and syntheses for monitoring/evaluation and planning purposes;
- Knowledge of the policy environment of Ethiopia’s livestock sector would be an asset;
- Involvement in recent similar projects in the Greater Horn of Africa region will be an asset.