ETHIOPIA: Key Expert 2 – Veterinary/Livestock expert – Organisation and delivery of veterinary services
Our company is looking for a long term Technical Assistant specialized in the management of EU funded projects (EDF) and with a deep experience in Veterinary Health / Agricultural Development sectors.
The objective of the Project is to fulfil veterinary service delivery gaps identified by OIE PVS evaluation: lack of enabling legislation for governance of Animal Health, poor vertical integration of information on disease incidence and prevalence, uneven competence levels across regions, and disproportionately low access to services in isolated areas.
Key expert 2 provides technical support to 3 grant beneficiary regional states (Amhara, Oromia and Somali) in the improvement of public and private veterinary services and development of the livestock value chain.
Expected date of mobilization: February 2020.
• Qualifications and skills:
- At least first University degree in veterinary medicine, Animal Science, agricultural economics, or equivalent. Post graduate degree in a relevant field veterinary specialty (e.g. Veterinary Epidemiology, Veterinary Public Health, etc.) would be considered an asset;
- Solid knowledge of capacity development challenges in public and private livestock sector institutions and actors in Ethiopia;
- Good knowledge of EU Grant and EDF management and procurement procedures;
- Profound knowledge of the country livestock policies, strategies, and excellent experience on analysis of approaches, and tools for improving the livestock value chain system and increasing the livestock production and productivity;
- Excellent planning and coordination skills, together with good communication skills;
- Excellent analytical and reporting skills including solid experience in field assessments and participatory data collection;
- Fluent in English (understanding, speaking, writing), and strong computer skills, including MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel;
- Able to work independently, flexibly and responsibly.
• General professional experience:
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience, and at least 5 years as lead planning and monitoring expert in livestock sector related large programs/projects;
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience in developing countries, with 3 years specific and relevant experience of working in developing countries, preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa and in particular in the Horn of Africa Region.
• Specific professional experience:
- Substantial experience in the animal health, production and trading sector, in particular in planning/advisory functions in programs/projects dealing with animal health and livestock value chain development;
- Proven experience in public-private animal health service delivery systems, and the regulatory framework and epidemio-surveillance systems;
- Proven experience in the design, implementation and monitoring of donor funded veterinary services programmes/projects encompassing regulated and effective quality private sector service;
- In-depth knowledge of the value chain and trade of live animals and their products;
- Solid proven professional experience in analysis of policies, strategies, approaches, and tools for effective livestock service delivery;
- Familiarity with the livestock production system in both crop producers, agro-pastoral and pastoral contexts;
- Involvement in recent similar projects in the Greater Horn of Africa region will be an asset.